Vacation Security Checklist
* Replace broken screens, latches, and windowpanes.
* Secure gates and sheds.
* Trim shrubbery.
* Don’t hide house keys outside.
* Give a neighbor a spare key. Ask them to get mail and newspapers, put trash cans in front of your house on trash day, mow and rake the lawn, and/or park in the driveway.
* Turn off iron, ice-maker, electronics, and phone ringer.
* Leave automatic sprinklers on, put timers on lamps, and install motion-activated lights outside.
* Leave draperies open slightly on upper floors.
* Don’t announce your absence with answering machine messages or notes on the door.
* Remove garage door openers and house keys from cars.
* Put valuables in safe-deposit box.
* Inform your local police that you'll be away.